Move-in Guide

Below are important links to make your move a smooth one.  You will also find basic information you need to know about living on-campus.


Creating A Good Living Environment

To facilitate a harmonious living environment, roommates are encouraged to talk to their roommates and try to resolve problems between each other first. If roommates cannot resolve their conflict, residents are encouraged to inform their Resident Advisor, Graduate Assistant or Residence Education Coordinator. The Resident Advisor (RA) lives in the area with the students, while the Residence Education Coordinator (REC) and/or Graduate Assistant (GA) supervises the building and staff. Your RA is the best person to begin discussions with and then you can engage the REC and/or GA if the RA cannot resolve the issues.

The following are steps our residential staff will take to assist in creating an agreement if one does not exist:

  1. The staff member will review the Living Agreement or assist in creating an agreement if one does not exist.
  2. The staff member will assist the roommates in a mediation process to open the lines of communication and attempt to come to a compromise or agreement.
  3. If students cannot arrive at a compromise after going through the previous steps, a room change is possible depending on space availability and room "freeze" dates.

Refrigerator Rentals

MicroFridges, which are a combination microwave and refigerator/freezer unit, can be rented per semester. Please visit to learn more about how to rent or purchase a MicroFridge unit.


Students assigned to tower buildings will share a single sex hallway bathroom. These bathrooms are maintained and cleaned by the building's housekeeping staff.

Students assigned to suites and apartments will share a bathroom with their fellow roommates. Students are responsible in these areas for cleaning their own bathrooms. Housing and Residence Life's Facility Services recommends the following cleaning products for bathrooms:

  • Showers: Tilex Soap Scum Remover to remove body oil and soap scum. Tilex is not a disinfectant, therefore students may want to use a suitable product after using Tilex.
  • Toilets and Sinks: Any all-purpose cleaner with disinfectant will work fine.

Mattress Size and Linens

Most of our mattresses are 80 inches long. When you purchase your linens, check the packaging to find the length of the fitted sheet.

Mattress pads are not provided for beds during the regular academic school year. You may consider purchasing your own pad since they can be helpful in preventing stain damage to the mattresses. Staining can result in a damage charge being applied to the student's account on check-out.


Loft system are permitted in towers only. All lofts are to be inspected and approved by the Housing Facilities Office. Any deviations from the guidelines posted on the Housing website must meet the approval of the Housing Facilities Office. Failure to seek approval and/or inspection could result in disciplinary action, a charge of $25 and/or removal/confiscation of the loft. The Department of Housing and Residence Life does not recommend or suggest that residents build lofts in their rooms, and is in no way responsible for such lofts or any damages or injuries caused by their use.

When constructing a loft, the following guidelines apply and must be followed:

  • Must be freestanding (not fastened to walls or ceilings);
  • Must be structurally able to safely support student(s);
  • Must not block doorways;
  • Must be designed so that removal of permanent room furniture will not be required;
  • Must be located in such a manner as to allow repair of heating/cooling units, windows, etc.;
  • Must be at least 3 (three) feet from the construction frame to the ceiling
  • Must be constructed of smooth and fire retardant lumber;
  • Must be inspected and approved by the Housing Facilities Services unit;
  • Must be designed so that University bed frames and mattresses are incorporated into the loft

What to Bring to Campus

This is a list of some items that residents have found helpful to bring with them to campus. At the bottom of the page are guidelines on appliances that may be used in various housing facilities on campus. Please check this list BEFORE purchasing items for use on campus.

Items Many Residents Bring

  • Personal prescription medications, in labeled prescription bottles
  • All correspondence received from UNC Charlotte (schedule, registration info, receipts, etc.)
  • Desktop or laptop computer/printer (If planning to use the wired internet, you will need a RJ-45 Ethernet cable to connect to the wall jack. Wireless routers are not needed to connect to the wireless internet and are discouraged from use to avoid connectivity issues.)
  • Cell phone
  • Digital Cable Ready Television (You will need a CATV grade coaxial cable jumper to attach to the cable jack on your wall to your TV or converter)
  • DVD player
  • iPod/MP3 player and docking speakers/sound system, etc. (to help maintain an academic environment, please bring a set of headphones)
  • Refrigerator, microwave (to rent a MicroFridge or compact refrigerator/freezer, visit the MicroFridge Rental website)
  • Desk lamp
  • Alarm clock (battery back-up is helpful)
  • Power strips with fuses/circuit breaker (no unfused multi-plug outlet adapter or multi-plug extension cords)
  • Pillow and blankets
  • Toiletries
  • Blow dryer (cannot exceed 1875 watts)
  • Linens and towels
  • Laundry basket and detergent
  • Cleaning supplies (broom, etc.)
  • Sewing kit/scissors
  • Clothes hangers
  • Iron/small ironing board
  • Umbrella
  • First aid supplies (band-aids, aspirin, etc.)
  • Security container with lock to keep valuables
  • Posters and plants
  • Bicycle and security lock

Appliance Policy

The North Carolina Insurance Commissioner's Office has established a list of approved appliances for use at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

Items approved for use in ALL residential facilities:

  • Hot air popcorn popper
  • Hair dryer (up to 1875 watts)
  • Power strips with fuses/circuit breaker
  • Coffee maker/Coffee pot
  • Slow cooker/crockpot
  • Blender
  • Electric can opener
  • Enclosed and/or low heat hotpot
  • Toaster oven
  • Iron
  • Television and DVD player
  • Game consoles (X-Box, Wii, etc.)
  • iPod/MP3 player and docking speakers/sound system, etc.
  • Computer/printer
  • Microwave oven (cannot exceed 1500 watts)
  • Refrigerators and refrigerator/freezer combination units: cannot exceed a total size 4.2 cubic feet and must be Energy Star compliant

Prohibited Items in ALL residential areas:

  • Pets (except fish in a properly maintained aquarium up to 10 gallons and service animal, with prior approval)
  • Firearms and/or ammunition
  • Candles/incense
  • Oil burning lamps
  • Space heaters
  • Fog machines
  • Multi-plug wall outlets
  • Multi-plug extension cords
  • Alcohol related items (if under 21 years of age)
  • Ceiling fans
  • Open coil burners/hot plates
  • Outdoor "open flame" grills / Lighter fluid / Charcoal
  • Outside antennas
  • Chain locks
  • Deadbolt locks
  • Fireworks
  • Halogen lamps/bulbs
  • Any high heat appliance capable of heating grease or oil to a burning point
  • Waterbeds
  • Wireless internet router
  • Hoverboards

Prohibited Items in Suites and Towers (only allowed in apartment kitchens):

  • Deep fat fryer
  • Hot oil popcorn popper
  • Electric wok
  • Electric griddle
  • Electric grill
  • Toaster
  • Electric indoor grill (e.g. George Forman)    

Personalizing Your Room

We encourage our residents to make their living spaces their own. This is where you will most likely sleep, eat, study and play during the coming months! To help you determine what is, as well as, what is not allowed in our Residence Halls, review the Housing Policies listed below.

Students are not permitted to paint their rooms, either personal bedrooms or living rooms, dining areas or kitchens of any apartment or suite. The presence of carpet necessitates professional skills and precautions. The only exception to this policy is the painting of approved murals in public areas of a building, and only with the approval of the Associate Director for Operations. Please contact our Facilities Services Department for more information.

Loft construction is approved for our tower buildings only. When constructing a loft, the following guidelines apply and must be followed:

  • Must be freestanding (not fastened to walls or ceilings);
  • Must be structurally able to safely support student(s);
  • Must not block doorways;
  • Must be designed so that removal of permanent room furniture will not be required;
  • Must be located in such a manner as to allow repair of heating/cooling units, windows, etc.;
  • Must be at least 3 (three) feet from the construction frame to the ceiling
  • Must be constructed of smooth and fire retardant lumber;
  • Must be inspected and approved by the Housing Facilities Services unit;
  • Must be designed so that University bed frames and mattresses are incorporated into the loft

(University storage for such items is not available).
Housing and Residence Life does not recommend nor suggest that residents build lofts in their rooms, and is in no way responsible for such lofts or any damages or injuries caused by their use.

Our Appliance Policy provides guidance on what to bring with you. It is outlined in detail on our What to Bring to Campus page.

You may rent a compact refrigerator/freezer or a Microfridge. Find out more.

Housing and Residence Life does not provide storage for residents beyond what you can keep in your actual room/suite/apartment. All items in our room at check-in have been noted on the Room Condition Report, and it is expected that everything will be there when you check out.

Accessing Your Building/Room

The Department of Housing and Residence Life is very serious about your safety. From electronically monitored access controls to unique lock systems, we make living on campus as safe and secure as possible.

University ID Cards: The UNC Charlotte ID card is a permanent card for which you are responsible throughout your enrollment at the University. A valid ID card carries with it certain privileges such as use of the library, admittance to various activities and check cashing. Cards are coded with information which allows printing, vending and access to campus dining halls if you have a meal plan. For security reasons, your ID card is for your use only and must not be given to others (except when requested by a University official). Violators of the ID policy jeopardize the security of other residents and are subject to disciplinary and/or legal action. University policy requires students to carry their ID cards at all times and to comply with requests from University officials to present this identification at any time.

Entry into Your Residential Building

In the University’s ongoing effort to provide residential students with reasonable, but still effective, security measures, residence halls are equipped with card access readers and the exterior doors are locked 24 hours a day. Students are required to use the appropriate card to gain entry to their residence halls.

Entry through Side Doors

All exterior doors are locked 24 hours a day/seven days a week from the outside. There are propped door alarms on most of the exterior doors of the residence halls. These alarms allow additional exits out of the residence halls. If the door is held open or propped open after a short period of time, the alarm will sound. To silence the alarm, simply close the door. It is the entire community’s responsibility to ensure a safe environment. Please do not prop doors open; if you notice a door propped open, close the door to secure it immediately.

Entry on Football Game Days

Access to residence halls will be restricted on football game days. Communications will be sent to all residents in the days leading up to home games with the details, dependent upon the game time.

Entry During Break Periods

Residents may stay in campus housing during all academic year break periods including Fall, Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring Breaks. As usual, the buildings will be locked and only accessible via card access. During break periods, loan key, Housing Facilities Office response and related services run on a significantly reduced schedule. During these periods, residents are encouraged to be alert and to contact Police and Public Safety should anything or anyone seem suspicious.

Using the Card Readers

To enter a building, slide your ID card through the card access reader. Sliding the card through too quickly or too slowly may result in a message to RE-READ, or try again. Once the reader “recognizes” you, you will get a valid message, and the door lock will click open. You have only a few seconds to enter the building before the door locks again.

If your ID card does not work, contact one of the Loan Key Desks (in Hunt, Martin or Belk Halls). Tell the staff member that your ID card is not granting access. The staff member will help you obtain a temporary ID. If your ID card is not working, be sure to have it checked at the ID Office in the Student Union on the next business day.

If you have forgotten your ID card, you will need to gain entry to the building by using the outside phone and calling a roommate or friend inside the building. This person will need to come to the front door to escort you into the building.


Because the buildings are always locked, persons making deliveries (pizza, gifts, etc.) must call the resident’s cell phone. The resident must then go to the front door to retrieve the delivery. Delivery staff is not permitted to go to a resident’s room unescorted.

Lost ID Card

If your card is lost or stolen, you may obtain a permanent replacement at the ID Office between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. After the ID Office has closed, you should report a lost or stolen ID immediately to the Loan Key desk staff in Hunt, Martin or Belk Halls. As appropriate, you will be issued a temporary, time-limited ID card and your privileges on your permanent card will be cancelled. The temporary card will be coded to give you the same privileges as you had on your permanent card. You must then go to the ID Office to have a new permanent ID card made the next business day.

ID Card Care

Protect your card from physical abuse. Carry it in your wallet; do not use it as a tool for any reason; do not punch holes in the card. Avoid exposure to any type of magnetic source. Do not place your card on stereo equipment or close to magnets. Be aware that some wallets have magnetic closures. Avoid running your ID card through the washing machine or clothes dryer.


As a resident, you are responsible for the conduct and behavior of your guests and those guests must be escorted at all times. Guests should present a University ID, a driver’s license or some other government issued photo ID to a staff member if requested. At no time should you loan your ID card to a guest to use in your absence.

Lost Keys/Cards: If you have lost your key and/or card, you must inform a Housing and Residence Life staff member immediately. Once notified, an immediate lock change will be initiated for which you will be billed. If the lock change is performed after normal office hours, staff overtime charges will also be incurred (minimum of 2 hours labor). You may elect the option of delaying the lock change until the next business day by signing a statement accepting full responsibility for the safety and security of your room, suite or apartment. Once a lock change is initiated, it cannot be stopped.

Loan Keys/Cards : If you are locked out of your room, a temporary key/card (called a loan key) may be issued according to the following directions:

  1. Go to the Loan Key Desk appropriate to your building:
    1. Holshouser, Hunt, Laurel, Levine, Moore and Scott Hall Residents: Hunt Hall
    2. Elm, Greek Village, Hawthorn, Maple, Martin, Oak and Pine Hall Residents: Martin Hall
    3. Belk, Lynch, Miltimore, Wallis and Witherspoon Hall Residents: Belk Hall
  2. To check out a key/card, you must be able to present a valid photo ID or answer security questions.
  3. Use the key/card to gain entry to your room. You must return the loan key/card immediately after use. If you do not return it within three hours, you will be charged for a lock change.
  4. When you return the key/card, you must present a valid picture ID and show your permanent key/card. The $5 loan key charge will automatically be posted to your student account.

These desks are open 24 hours a day. However, from time to time, the staff working the desk must leave the desk area to accomplish work related tasks. If the desk staff member is not available when you return the loan key/card, please wait at the desk for his/her return.

Renter’s Insurance

Students wishing to protect their belongings from the possibility of loss should obtain appropriate insurance coverage. Some residents may be covered under their parents' existing homeowner's or renter's policy.

Check with your personal insurance company for more information.

Other Items of Importance:

Use the links below to visit other sections of our Resident area and website for information on the following topics: